CONNAS was founded as a special design bureau (OKB) tasked with researching, designing, and installing what were referred to at the time as deep rodless pumps. These deep rodless pumps (BN) are more commonly called electrical submersible pumps (ESPs) today. The Special Design Bureau for Deep Rodless Pumps (OKB BN) was created in accordance with Decree No. 3990 from the Council of Ministers of the USSR on September 20, 1950 and Order No. 1338 from the Ministry of Petroleum Industry of the USSR on September 27, 1950. The purpose of the OKB BN was to improve oil production capabilities to meet the growing needs of the economy in post-war Russia. It was the center of research and development for ESP technology in Russia from 1950 until the early 1990s.
In 1993, state-owned OKB BN was transformed into an open type Joint-Stock Company and was renamed OKB BN CONNAS by Order No. 1239-r from the Property Management Committee of Moscow on December 28, 1993.
CONNAS was registered with the Moscow Registration Chamber on January 25, 1994 with Certificate registration number 023.821-рп. The company is included in the Unified State Register of Enterprises and Organizations (EGRPO) with code OKPO 00220440 based on registration certificate 23821 from the Moscow Registration Chamber dated July 02, 1997. In the main information, analytical, and computational center (GIVC) at the State Committee for Russian Federation Statistics re-registered OKB BN CONNAS JSC as OJSC OKB BN CONNAS.